But today, January 26, is still a big day. It's my husband's and my 20th Dating Anniversary.
Yes, we still celebrate it. It's the reason we went to Cape Flattery a little over a week ago. It's the reason we get gooey-eyed every January. Heck, it might be the reason we're still together after all this time. And, looking back, I'm pretty amazed. After twenty years:
1. We don't hate each other (marriage ain't much fun if that's happening).
2. We still like sitting next to each other, holding hands, etc. (Don't worry, I won't do the TMI thing.)
3. We still have plenty to talk about.
4. We still don't annoy each other much. Actually, we may very well annoy each other less than we used to. (I could make a short list, of annoyances, but then, so could he. None of them usually is enough even for a spat.)
5. We still like going places with each other better than with anyone else.
and, most importantly,
6. I still can't imagine putting up with anybody else instead.
So, there it is. Has it been exciting? Not enough to make a movie about. Has it been fun? Yup. Would I have picked differently? I am SOOO glad I didn't, and I think he'd say the same. We get along like best friends, we tell each other the truth (even when we don't want to), and we share a vision, a purpose, and a great deal of respect. And we know each other almost as well as we know ourselves.
What more could I ask for?