Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Travel Tuesday: The Ideal Writing Spot

I will eventually get to real places... I promise. Right now, though, it's so much more fun to travel back into my brain, at least in the parts where they ugly voices aren't living right now.

(The ugly voices are living in most of the dark corners of my brain right now. You'll hear them speak for themselves tomorrow.)

For now, let's consider the ideal place to disappear to and write one's novel. NaNoWriMo is coming up in November, and I'm already making plans. Since I am holding down 8 jobs at the moment, though--yes, I said 8, and only three are volunteer--I can't quite go on vacation. Still, my little writing closet could use a fake window of sorts, one that looks out onto a blissful, almost real scene, as if I'm really on vacation there. Like this one.  

See, there is the lovely little Alpine valley, tucked into the mountains, and I'm sitting in my writing room gazing at the clouds as they float by. *sigh*

Only I'm not writing. And that's a problem.

imgres.jpg
consultoriapsiquica.blogspot.com
I need to try something else. I know. How about a beach?

Yup, this is the ticket. A sunset at the beach. For a little added depth I could buy a CD of wave sounds, complete with birds calling and wind blowing. 

Ooh, I need a margarita. Or at least a bathing suit. And sunglasses. 

But I'm still not writing. 

Perhaps the key to all of this is that I need to stop thinking of doing my writing when I'm on "vacation." When I'm on vacation, I shouldn't be writing. I should be on vacation, watching reruns of TV shows I haven't seen in 20 years (or at least five), painting my toenails, swimming, doing stupid things. Not writing. 

Writing is work. It is. It's like my other jobs--it takes some of my time, requires preparation, and sometimes I have to do it when I don't particularly want to. And when I denigrate it by filing it with my "leisure" activities, I don't get to it. And I have to. It's my job. And it's a job I love, one that deserves my time and concentration--without one of these stupid windows.

And that's what today is about for me. I had my Labor Day. I played tennis, watched TV, read, washed my car, and swam with my kids. I played. Sure, I did a little cleaning, but mostly I was on vacation. 

But now it's a Work Day. Let's see how many of my jobs I can get done today... including writing. 

4 comments:

  1. Love your blog and love your profile!

    I've taught children's theatre for the past 21 years including a Shakespeare in the Rough kids program.

    I write because I MUST! ;)

    Looking forward to Ugly Voices........
    mine, I'm quite sure, are 6th grade mean girls! lol

    Have a creative day!

    Mimi
    Collage Pirate
    and Pirates of CHAOS Productions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mimi!

    I love your blog, too... and 6th grade mean girls are the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck getting some writing done - it can be so tough to fit it in sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too true. And so often I shovel it off with "hobbies" instead of "work," leading to neglect that is truly unnecessary, and sort of sad.

    ReplyDelete