Friday, March 26, 2010

Writing Questions

Since I want to know all of these questions from you, I'll ask them of myself first:

1. Whose writing does your own most resemble?

Answer: My writing is probably most similar to Shannon Hale's YA lit.

2. Which writer's writing and revising habits does your method most resemble?

Answer: Gustav Flaubert. He'd work and rework a sentence for a month to make it right. I tend to revise my stuff eleventy-seven times before I find myself willing to send it out to anywhere really important.

3. Of past writers, which do you wish you had been in another life?

Answer: I wouldn't wish to live their lives (none were that happy), but I wish I'd written Shakespeare's stuff (obviously!)... if not his, then Austen's, Dickens's, or Chaucer's (even the bawdy ones). I'd also love to have written Hawthorne's novels.

And now, your answers...

3 comments:

  1. 1. I know some writers I would like it to resemble, but I don't think I'm there, yet. I have a rather distinctive voice. I fear I'm probably more like Stephenie Meyers in style than I am many others.

    2. Haven't the faintest idea.

    3. I'd love to have the talent and skills of a number of writers, but I wouldn't want to have their lives. Think Poe, Heinlein, Heyer and Roberts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll give you answers but with a declaimer... I am close to these answers in my mind, and not in reality or at least I’ll give you answers I wish could be.

    1: Robert Jordan mixed with J.K Rowling… since those two authors are the ones I have study day and night. They are a direct influence in what my mind projects as a writing process.

    2: I have no knowledge of any authors editing habits… just check my blog for proof.

    3: If i had to pick from dead writers, then it would be Robert Jordan… except I would want to have finished my work before dying. But I wouldn’t change who I am for anything, but at least you have an answer…

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Whose writing does your own most resemble?

    Answer: My own.

    2. Which writer's writing and revising habits does your method most resemble?

    Answer: My own.

    3. Of past writers, which do you wish you had been in another life?

    Answer: The guy who wrote up the wild wild west wanted posters because then I would have been able to illustrate my work as well.



    To be honest Shakes...I don't study nor have I ever studied other writers or their habits. If I like what is written I don't dissect it but simply enjoy it and move on. I have no illusions about being the Walt Whitman of my generation. Nor would I want to be because my name is Mark not Walt.

    ReplyDelete