Sunday, March 21, 2010

Playwriting

I am on vacation (have been since Thursday--yippy!), and that means I have been moving into "writing mode." (Repeat: yippy!)

I admit, after a hard semester of teaching, it may take me several days of lying around and doing nothing before I can enter such a mode. I am also visiting a friend in Kansas, and we have discovered that we have vastly different ways of writing--she at a desk, I reclined; she with the television, I in utter silence (or with very soft music playing in the background). Right now, though, she is exhausted, finally relaxing after months of utter stress, so while she snores (softly) in the background, I can get some work done.

Nice.

You see, I don't write for the money. I don't dream about being a famous writer while I'm drifting off to sleep at night. I don't dream of quitting my day job once I sell something. I just love the act--the feel--of writing. I like it better than a hot shower, as much as a cool breeze. It eases headaches, relaxes my shoulders, and draws me in better than a movie in a dark theatre. Writing is simply a fantastic exercise. Rather like painting.

Playwriting is the best, too, for it includes not only this ecstasy of writing, but also promises another treat in the future: getting my writing read by actors. I'm part of the Seattle Playwrights Collective, and the play I'm swimming in now is set to get a dramatic reading in May. That means, very soon, I will hear my play's words spoken by real, talented actors. I'll hear where the elements falter, where the plot doesn't thicken fast enough, and I'll have the privilege of hearing the parts that work as well.

I feel more lucky than I can say. I may never get one of my novels published, and no play of mine might make it to Broadway, but the act of writing and honing them is the best part.

4 comments:

  1. If I were as talented as you... maybe I would say writing and honing is the best part. But for me, I write because I have to, the story screams at me, the characters yell in my head if i don't write.
    Writing fulfills me in away I can't connect to consciously.

    Dreaming of being a full time write is what drives me onwards. The struggle to learn English, and flow, pace, plot structure, scene development and the rest---does not propel me forward. Basically it’s the story in my head not taking no for an answer.

    I too have to write in silence, but i must be at my desk; sitting in my comfy chair.

    Thx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty darn cool. I think it's so neat that you have that kind of venue for your plays.

    Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if you ever do get a book published, I'm buying one. If you ever get a play to Broadway I'll surely try my best to see it.

    Was a pretty hard semester for us as well, with a big paper to finish and all so I can relate. I hope they were fun to read like the journals were.
    Got to admit, reading your blog makes me feel like I'm back in class (not a bad thing, class was fun).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Write because you can and dream because they are there to dream.

    ReplyDelete