Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Swear!

For some reason my mind is on Hamlet, a character I identify with more strongly than I'd like--not because I have a mind to kill my stepfather (what stepfather?) or save Denmark from a tyrant (why would I care?), but because I often waffle through life, unsure whether I should take chances, "waste" my time on writing and other pursuits, etc. So much to do, so little time.

Now that I have finished training, with flying colors no less (the trainer said my work was top-notch and recommended me for the next level of training, which involves actually facilitating two online classes!!!!), it's time for me to take care of a number of things... only I feel like Hamlet's ghost is roaming outside in my back yard, moaning at me, "Swear!" to make sure I do what I say I will.

So, here I SWEAR that I will get the following things done this summer:

1.  Train Pam so that she can do bookkeeping at the church (instead of me!)
2.  Paint a big painting for my sister and brother-in-law.
3.  Finish the ship painting I've been working on for a year.
4.  Revise Desdemona and send it out to at least five theatres.
5.  Revise Remember Me and get a date set for the playwrights group to read it.
6.  Revise Mariah's Ark and start sending it to agents.
7.  Revise my Charley novel and send it out to friendly readers (and not so friendly ones).
8.  Research extensively for Thomas novels (my first novel attempt, which I am revamping).
9.  Write outlines for the full set of Thomas novels.
10.  Revise article for ghost book (should be done this week!).
11.  Send out article to all newspapers in western Washington.
12.  Post article on craigslist (weekly or twice per week).
13.  Conduct the majority of interviews for ghost book (by end of September).
14.  Go through all textbooks for classes.
15.  Plan out classes for fall (1 face-to-face, 2 online in Kansas, 2 mentored online classes).
16.  Sew a medieval costume for myself.
17.  Sew several outfits for myself and my daughter.
18.  Visit my sister and aunt in Texas.
19.  Get a ten-minute play ready for production during the fall term (for Jan. performance).

and

20.  Plan and implement fun activities for my kids.

Okay, yes, this is an exhaustive list. But I've written it out, and I've sworn it. Now I need to print it out and paste it up somewhere (perhaps a bathroom mirror?). I'll let you know when I get something done on it, and I'll do everything I possibly can to get the whole shebang done by mid-September or so (school here starts in late September, since we're on the quarter system). 

Now it's your turn. Make a list, put it up for us to see, and SWEAR it!

6 comments:

  1. Well, damn. Now, I suppose I have to commit.

    My list WILL be shorter (believe me), but I'll put it up for Thieving Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I can't wait to read it!

    I've already started into a research book for the Thomas novels. Now if my kids can only stop throwing tantrums and fighting with each other! Sheesh! Don't they know I'm trying to get some work done?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will enjoy life and make my children’s life better; I will have fun and make the life a people around me better. I will help where needed, I will get hope to others, I will be a role model for my kids to look up to, I will strive to be a better man every day, I will honor myself and others I care about, I will bring happiness to my house and a sense of belonging, I will enjoy life and revel in the free time I make for myself....

    last but not least... I will finish my book this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everything you've said, Jeff, and I hope you finish your book as you intend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's longer than my list for the summer I think

    ReplyDelete