Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Goddess Insomnia

Hypnos (the god of sleep) has denied me some of my needed sleep for months, so much so that when he does send his brother Morpheus to me, Morpheus knows he only has so much time to give me dreams, so he rushes through them, turning them all to panic. 

I rarely cannot get to sleep. I do too much Zumba for that to happen. This used to be my main source of insomnia, for I would fret and fret about all the stuff I still had not done, and I would lie awake for hours. I've solved that problem with my little book of lists, which I create before I go to bed, jotting down any task remaining (sweep floors, call school, doctor's appointment at 10, etc.). 

Not to be outmaneuvered, my body has discovered it can still avoid sleep if it wakes me up fretting at 2 a.m. Darn it! 

I can read for an hour or two and probably go back to sleep eventually, but it won't be the same. I still need to get up early with the kiddos to get them to school. Often I can sleep until 4 or 5, and then I can survive the day with little diminishment of my energy level. It's just kind of irritating. 

In the meantime, before my body figures out the sun ain't coming up anytime soon, I'm working on my novel. It's nice and quiet right now. Good time to write.

What do you do when you can't sleep? How does the goddess Insomnia visit you? 

(Actually, this can't be her name, not unless she's a Roman god. The Roman version of Hypnos is Somnia, god of sleep. Still, I like the title, and I think that will turn into at least a line of my novel--if not the title of something besides a blog entry some day). 

2 comments:

  1. I used to watch movies (since I've been an insomniac all my life). Now, I read manga.

    ReplyDelete