Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Is it Time to Panic?

A few weeks ago, after I'd finished packing up the china cabinet and my husband had packed (most of) the man cave, he looked me in the eye and said, "I think we're almost done. This move isn't going to be hard at all."

And he wasn't joking.

Not to be goaded into a false sense of calm, I answered, "We aren't close, and this is going to be hard."

Guess. Go on, guess who was right. You know the answer. Since I'm the one writing this blog, and the title has the word "panic" in it, you know I'm the one who was right. I would guess we're still only 25% done with the packing, and we still have to say good-bye to all the people here, finish getting all documents ready for closing on our new house, pack the other 75%, scrub down the house from top to bottom, go to every doctor (it seems), enroll the kids in the new school, sell two vehicles, sell a bunch of furniture on Craigslist (I just posted it all yesterday), finish both courses, help the hubby recover from oral surgery this coming Thursday... should I keep going? Really?

So here it is: Panic, panic, PANIC, panic, panic, more panic, PANIC, PANIC, PANIC, panic, PANIC!!!!

And that's it. I'm done. All done panicking. It's a waste of time anyway, panicking is, and it will only get me a heart attack. Besides, it makes breathing difficult and gives me a headache.

Now it's time to get to work. I have a library, playroom, and kitchen to pack, along with other ducks to put in a row. Talk to you later!


  1. A little panic, like most things, can be necessary in moderation. Go outside, scream, tug your hair a little, shed a few self-pitying tears. Just set a time limit.

    Then, square your shoulders and get back to it. You'll discover two things. First, most of it's actually doable. Secondly, what you didn't get done can be done at a later time with minimal impact OR maybe it really didn't need to be done at all.

    Moving is a pain in the proverbial butt, yet people successfully do it all the time without a fraction of the preparation you'll have (I know you). In the end, it will work out alright.

  2. a small dose of panicking is maybe in order. then when all is settled in your mind you can continue packing and doing the other things that need finishing. good luck to your husband with his oral surgery. hope you enjoy your new house when you get settled into it. have a great day.

  3. Good luck with the move...Organization is the key to making a successful move. :) We've moved so many times. The last few times we've had movers do it, but I've been more organized than most when they arrive.

    Be safe!

  4. Yes, its time to panic... and also get back to work. as fast as times moves these days, it will be over soon.

    good luck and hope you have a safe trip.

  5. Ah... the moving panic...I know it well.

    And I do not miss it a bit now that I am so much more rooted.

    Hope all goes well.

  6. I see no one told you that when you're packing to move, your household items multiply every night, and some items crawl out and hide in a different box. I know. It's happened to me.

    Good luck.