Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Cave

Sunlight streams in
Hot and humid
I can hear laughter
Outside

But an hour in the sun
Would burn

And I remember how
The sweat
Drips down
My neck
My back
My legs

A giggle echoes
Into the cave
Where I sit
Alone
Waiting
Who can be out there
Braving the danger
Of sunlight?

I listen
The giggle rings through again
Welling up like water
Jingling along
The stone walls
Calling me

It is my own voice
Myself
My little child
Cramped inside
This cave for far too long

I step along the sand to meet it
Outside
In the burning sun.

8 comments:

  1. Sometimes you just know what you need to be writing.

    What I've always liked about poetry is that you usually have to fill in the blanks with your own imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You brought it to life... nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could write poetry. My secret. This was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has she aged much now that you've seen her in the light of day?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful image expressed in words.. It gave me a sweet sweat as I read it
    :)

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for reading it, everyone! You are so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's engaging when one can run outside to meet their inner self and explore the possibilities. really nice writing.

    ReplyDelete