Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Five Senses of Christmas

Now that the remains of my daughter's cookie party are almost gone (can you sense my relief?), the Christmas cards have all been sent, the shopping is done, and only five presents have not yet been wrapped and put under the tree, I can sit back and just enjoy the season.

Actually, I've been enjoying the season all along, with all of my senses. I've written several entries on description, but Christmas has unique elements all its own. My "Five Senses" list:

Sight: 
  The lit-up Christmas tree. I use all white lights, and my ornaments 
are pretty much cream, gold, and red. Velvet and brocade ribbons, 
gold chains of bells, and gold beads. Of course, I love almost every 
Christmas tree--I just love my own most of all.

Sound: 
  Christmas music. I have everything from grunge rock versions 
to Vienna Choir Boys, John Denver to Nelson Eddy (thanks to my 
sis, who's a big fan of his). I love it all. Only the Chipmunks one 
gets on my nerves.

Taste: Gingerbread is number one, especially with white icing.

Touch: 
  The smoothness of a wrapped package. I try to box everything, 
even clothing, so that the corners are all crisp and the sides smooth. 
And, yes, I stroke them. 

Smell: 
  Scotch tape. Yes, I love the smell of a wood fire, too, but scotch 
  tape reminds me of Christmas in the middle of July. I wrapped 
  presents with my mother when I was a very young kid, and wrapping 
  presents is still one of my favorite activities. That pleases my hubby 
  to no end, too, since it means he doesn't have to.

What are your favorite five sensations of Christmas? Don't be afraid to share!

4 comments:

  1. Sights. Mine are also lights, but I like Christmas lights on houses, particularly the bright LED lights and, especially, the blue ones. I love the look and feel of them.

    I like Christmas carols, too, but I prefer ones sung by real people in person (even poorly) as Christmas carolers. We're going out caroling Wednesday.

    Taste, I like mint and spiced breads like zucchini and pumpkin. I also like something you don't, smoked meats.

    I like the warmth of blankets and bathrobes, the softness the heat of my body or a heater.

    Cinnamon is the smell I associate most with Christmas, though I'd be hard pressed to tell you why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy you the caroling. You know how much I love it.

    No opportunities for that here, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine are close to both of your combined...

    but no chance of caroling for me... Bah-hum-bug

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sight...No one puts up lights on houses or trees near the window for obvious Detroit reasons.

    Sounds...The coffee pot doing it's final gurgle to let me know my season is ready to begin.

    Tastes...I have no taste.

    Smells...This place has a whole host of smells and none of them remind me of any season in particular.

    Touch...The finger of your feelings on my heart. That is enough for my senses.

    ReplyDelete