Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Working under Attack

I rarely comment on political topics, mainly because the majority of debates are filled with gross exaggeration if not outright lies, but today I feel compelled to write.

I cannot help but use my own point-of-view in this, as wife to a college president. My husband just took an interim position as president of another college in the area, and he has quite a job ahead of him, but his presidency is far different from the job of President of the United States, in much the same way that becoming a faculty member at a college is different from being a congressman in Washington, D.C.

You see, when my husband--or anyone else--serves as the president of a college, he or she joins a large group of people in a team effort to create as good a college as possible. They are united by obvious goals: to serve students, to provide a great college experience and an even better educational experience, etc.

What my husband does not have to deal with is the likelihood that half the college campus believes he is unfit for his job, will destroy the college during the years he occupies the president's seat, and is an incompetent, borderline Satanic creep. Instead, although some faculty and staff might disagree with a chosen path or argue about policy, 99% of those who work at, attend classes in, and are otherwise involved with the college are united in their effort to make the college as great as it can be.
We need, as a country, to do the same.

If my husband had to deal with 50% of his college attacking him through the press, disrupting meetings, refusing compromises, etc., the college would suffer. His ability to do his job would suffer. The truth is, EVERYONE involved with the college would suffer. How could the college function if teachers refused to teach, or departments could never decide on a textbook because of ideological differences, or maintenance were fighting with housekeeping, or students were bombarded by hateful rhetoric every time they stepped onto campus? Or if contracts were put on hold because the administration members refused to work together to get their budgets, hires, and other necessary work done? The truth is, the college would fall apart, and that is what is happening to our governmental system because both sides would rather vilify each other than work together.

I don't pretend to know which political party anyone belongs to. Honestly, I don't care. What matters to me is that so many of us think it's right to blast the other party just for being who they are, that we are so concerned with ideological differences that we refuse to work together or consider the "other" side our equals.

How do we make it stop? The only person's actions I can affect are my own, but there are actions I can take every day to remedy this.

1. Call out those who spread false information. It doesn't matter whose party or which candidate/congressman/public person the skewed post criticizes. If it isn't accurate, I need to make that clear.
2. Check my own facts before I post ANYTHING.
3. Constantly examine my own way of thinking to see where I have taken leaps of reasoning.
4. NEVER assume that my opinion is "fact" while others' opinions (if they do not agree with mine) are "delusions."
5. Show respect to all, but make it clear that I expect them to show the same respect to each other.
6. Raise your expectations of those in office--and back off. How? To back off, stop expecting every statesman to do what you personally believe in. That they do not agree with you about abortion or the economy doesn't make them evil. It means they don't agree with you (and that is ALL). How do we raise expectations? That's the easy part. We need to expect those in office to DO THEIR JOB.

And that is the crux of it. My job is to be a writer... to DO my job, I have to write. I am also a parent, doing that job effectively requires me to be present, to involve myself with my kids--to PARENT. Those in office need to stop fighting and back biting and DO THEIR JOBS. I respect people who have opinions, but I do not respect those who use their opinions to keep from doing their jobs. End of story. We all do better in life when we DO OUR JOBS, and many of the bad things that happen in our lives are caused by us NOT doing our jobs or by other people around us not doing theirs.

In the end, it matters that I keep my mind open, that I admit when my judgment has faltered, and that I am willing to compromise. I cannot possibly assume that I am the single most intelligent person in the world, that my opinions are all right, and that I cannot make mistakes. Besides, if we stop pointing out differences, if we refuse to let the nasty language divide us from others, we might just see the similarities that tie us together.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with the gist of what you're saying with one codicil.

    The key element in all this is "doing their jobs" and, in the case of politicians, "providing for well-being their constituents," something they have sworn to do, ironically, as opposed to those of us just working for money.

    There should be means available when those who have sworn to work for our benefit refuse to do their jobs or demonstrably work for our detriment.

    Voting out is one way, of course, but sometimes the destruction is so egregious and blatant, that citizens are damaged if not die as a result. People should not feel helpless when that's the case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wish we had the chance to send off those who refuse to work towards positive ends. What horrifies me most is that the nasty people, those who do absolutely nothing but who also criticize ANY step anyone else takes, too often have a rabid following... in much the same way that, at a hockey game, those who least understand the rules only get excited when a fight breaks out, but not when the game runs as it should. Too bad there isn't a penalty box for politicians who refuse to work with others...

      Delete
  2. If specific areas of your home feel cold or drafty, then chances are they are not properly sealed or insulated. These deficiencies can greatly increase the cost of heating or cooling your home and are often an easy fix. Seal any holes you identify and get a price estimate for adding insulation to thin walls.play bazaar
    Really many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you feel soomething wrong with you or your family or paranomal activity in your house so contact purohit and some relief with our bhakti website ganga bhakti
    bhakti gana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once you know what your major is, get to know the professionals in that department. They will be able to advise you and give you valuable information in how to meet your desires. play bazaar
    satta king

    ReplyDelete