Sunday, December 20, 2009

What I Want for Christmas

I'm certainly not the first to think of this. As most of you are aware, I already posted both of my children's Santa letters on this blog. But my son reminded me of it last night when he asked me, "So, Mom, how will you feel when you open all your presents on Christmas morning?"

Before I could even answer, his eyebrows wrinkled. "Hey, wait. You don't have any presents under the tree."

"True," I admitted. He must have checked every package ten times already.

He shrugged, said, "Then I guess you won't feel anything," and walked off. Already a sensitive boy.

I could have explained that I really feel too old to get a bunch of Christmas presents. I could explain that my husband detests being surprised, and while I like being surprised, I also hate presents (in general), mainly because they were a guilt-ridden ploy for love in my childhood. 

But I do want things. Okay, not things, but things.

I want a novel published. This is my most selfish of wishes, but it is one nonetheless. I won't get it for Christmas. I can't even guarantee I'll get it by the end of next year, or ever. 

I want to be a better writer, and to spend more time writing. One is directly connected to the other, but I continually face the nasty voices in my head telling me that my writing will never get any better (and that it's pretty lame to begin with). The voices make me reluctant at times to face the computer, even to write a blog, and they attack the other idea as well, that practice will improve my skill. This wish is directly related to the one above.

I want my son to adjust to school in a happier way. I can't make that happen, but I am doing what I can to help him.

I want people who are out of work to get jobs. Sure, I'd like something full-time, but I can handle it because my husband provides well. Still, it would be so much better if people who are out of work are employed. They'll be happier, more productive, and they'll make the rest of us happier, too.

I want people to be truly happy. Not just friends, either. I'm just fine with not so great people being happy, for their happiness may make them nicer. I am convinced that most mean people are mean because they are hurt inside and cannot resolve their own unhappiness.

What is it you most want? I'd love to know...

3 comments:

  1. First I’ll state my unselfish wish list.

    I want my friends and family to be healthy and have long lives, I want my kids to never feel lost in life and lead fruitful and compelling lives. I want my kids to be successful and very happy with their lot. I wish my wife all the love her heart can hold, I hope she is proud of me as I am of her. Ooh might as well through in our econ to get back on its feet...

    Now for the selfish list at least more selfish than the one above.
    I want to hit the lottery, so I can work on my story every day. And not to mention it would be a dream to drive and pick up my kids from school every day. I want my story/book to be a hit and the world to recognize my writing as a success… I want to be the person I dreamt of being as a kid…

    Now for the real list.
    I want a new computer and a new set of tires for my car… and for my kids to feel loved as much as I love them.

    thx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want my family to be happy, whatever that takes.

    I want (even though it's cliche) world peace. I want everyone to have the security of food, shelter, healthcare and education.

    I want to be a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want cessation of the tremendous amount of fear and pain that I see everywhere I look. I want all mankind to know what I know, that fear is the only thing holding us back from a better world and from taking our rightful place in it. I want more a heart of flesh and less one of stone that I can once again appreciate the blueness of a sky without hearing the howling of my fellow travelers pain.

    ReplyDelete