Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A New Pact

I'm really sorry to have to do this, but I've been fighting myself every day for most of the summer. You see, while I've been involving myself in all sorts of activities, from reading books I love (or know I will love, once I read them), to playing piano, to camping, and even to working on my two new online courses, I have NOT been writing every day.

So here it is. From this blog on, I am no longer allowed to write my blog on a given day until I work for AT LEAST one hour on my writing projects. I don't have to choose a certain project, but the one I work on has to be one of the projects I have on hand (there are plenty of them!)... and I have to work on it for a good, long while. 

If you don't hear from me for the next few days, it's because my id is still holding off my superego. However, if I write tomorrow, it's because I am finally on task again. I can certainly use any encouragement I can get. I still haven't figured out why I'm fighting it (since the urge is still there, and it's the reason I get up every morning), but I haven't truly spent time on my writing in about a month. It's time for me to stop putting it off, stop leaving it at the bottom of my to-do list for the day. I intend to stay up at night--late, if necessary--if only to make sure I keep doing what I love. 

Wish me luck! And I hope to be able to blog VERY soon!


4 comments:

  1. I've had dry spells myself when I knew I wanted to write, but couldn't bring myself to the point. For me, it was because I had something building in my subconscious and it wasn't "ripe" yet, but that doesn't mean it's what it is for you. If you know you want to write and you keep finding excuses or distractions rather than doing so, you'll have to put it at the top.

    Put it on top of other lists, too. Not just the things you like to do for yourself, but on the top of lists for everyone else. If you NEED the writing time, give it a priority. Sweep later. Let hubby take a turn at the dishes. Whatever. Carve out the time you need. Time you NEED for what you love should not be optional.

    It's hard to get back into the groove sometimes when something's gone stale, too, or the magic isn't where you left it. The only way to get it back is to lose yourself in it. Take the time to do so and, hey, when you get back here, we'll still be here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like reading your blog, and I know how much you love writing. Sometimes you have to take a break from something you love to appreciate it all the more. You've taken the time to explore other interests and enjoy doing other things. It sounds like you're ready to return to your first love. All right then, let's get to it! Put in the time writing so you may come back to your blog. Along with Stephanie, I'll be waiting too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am in the same place as you, the only way to work through it is to put pen to paper.

    Make sure you do write and give it the time it needs...

    For about 2 months i found anything else to do other than write, I mean I would even mow the lawn rather than write… it is hard to say why.
    i want to finish my novel more than anything, but feel lost and unable to endure the pain it is to write... but because of a few people i have meet it has allowed me to see the struggle is the best part and without it you will not produce a good manuscript...

    in one month (my first month)I had produced 120 pages and the second month 100 pages in the last 6 months I have produced 40 painstaking pages, going in reverse and sometime spinning my wheels… doing rewrite after rewrite and change of plot and scenes and so on…

    but you have shown me to never give up and never say it is not worth the time and effort it takes to make the story you want to make… so take some of your advice and just do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I allowed myself to check blogs-- because I WROTE FOR OVER TWO HOURS TODAY! HURRAY!!!!

    I won't write tomorrow's blog until I've done at least an hour in the morning. Thanks for all your support!

    ReplyDelete